A woman has revealed the horrific injuries to her lap which she claims were caused by a scalding hot cup of tea from Costa .
Melissa Postello, 23, was left with third degree burns and could require skin grafts after the drink splashed over her when she left a drive-through Costa Coffee franchise.
The retail worker, from Sheffield, South Yorks., said the tea was almost too hot to handle and lost her grip causing the entire contents to land on her legs.
Melissa, who was on a second date at the time of the incident on October 14, was wearing tights and shorts when they visited the coffee chain in Meadow Hall.
She said: “I was with my date and we went to the Costa drive through at about 6.30pm.
“When we took a sharp corner, I lost my grip and the scalding hot tea splashed on me.
“I remember saying ‘pull over’ and feeling like my legs were on fire.”
Within ten minutes, she could see that the skin on her legs had lifted and began to blister.
After the incident, Melissa went home and sat in a cold bath for 20 minutes.
When the searing pain had not subsided, she went straight to A&E at the Northern General Hospital.
Her deep, painful wounds were treated by medics who sent home the same day, but she may need skin grafts to repair the damage.
Melissa has hit out at Costa Coffee for having water so hot it could injure someone.
She says that when she complained, staff told her that the water is never hotter than 92C, but her doctor explained that to get third degree burns, the water needed to be at least 130C.
She says: “Costa have said that they will investigate the branch, but I just want to warn people that this can even happen. I never expected anything like this to happen.
“At home, I’ve spilt a little bit of boiling water on myself, and it’s hurt but it hasn’t been anything like this.”
To add insult to injury, Melissa hasn’t spoken with her date since the horrific incident.
She says that he told her she’d be fine after witnessing the spill.
She said: “The first thing he told me was that I’d be fine.
“I was sat in his car saying it really hurts, like my legs are on fire. I was shaking because I was in shock.
“So he took me home and we haven’t spoken since.”
A Costa spokesperson told Mirror Online: “We were concerned to hear about this incident.
“At Costa we take the health and wellbeing of our customers very seriously, and as such we are looking into this as a matter of priority.”