It was a good night to make a low key first step back into public life.
And Brad Pitt made his first official appearance since his split from Angelina Jolie when he attended a screening of Moonlight in Los Angeles on Tuesday.
He was supported by his fellow A-lister friend Julia Roberts as he attended the event promoting the film, which was executive produced through his company Plan B.
The 52-year-old, who has been caught up in ugly divorce and custody battle, appeared drawn, but he did manage a smile for the cameras and did his best to appear upbeat.
The Fight Club favourite opted for a dressed down look of woollen jacket, tartan shirt and T-shirt.
Julia, 49, looked resplendent in a casual look of black top and trousers, and added an element of geek chic by donning thick-rimmed spectacles.
Moonlight tells the story of a young black man from childhood to adulthood as while growing up in a rough neighborhood of Miami.
The screening was a rehearsal for his first red carpet walk since his marriage breakdown, when he attends the Allied premiere in Los Angeles on Wednesday.
It was a good night for a low key appearance, as the country was gripped by the drama surrounding the presidential race between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump.
Angelina filed for divorce on September 19, citing irreconcilable differences.
The estranged couple – who got only married last year – have six children; Maddox, 15, Pax, 12, Zahara, 11, Shiloh, 10, and eight-year-old twins Knox and Vivienne, while he has asked for shared guardianship.
She will continue to have sole custody of their children under an agreement reached by the stars, a representative for the actress said Monday.
The agreement calls for the former couple’s children to continue to have ‘therapeutic visits’ with Pitt.
Jolie filed for divorce days after Pitt was involved in a disturbance during a private flight with his family. She cited irreconcilable differences as the reason for the breakup, and an attorney said at the time she filed for divorce ‘for the health of the family.’
Monday’s statement said the agreement was reached more than a week ago in consultation with childcare professionals. It says no further details could be provided, and it makes no mention of an investigation by child welfare workers into the plane incident.